Skip to main content

Clayton, Lieutenant-Colonel FitzRoy A. T.

Late of the Grenadier Guards. Was born in 1834. He is a J.P. for Berks, and Deputy-Chairman of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. He served in the Crimean Cam­paign in 1854-1855.

Colonel Clayton has taken a very keen interest in yachting, and was one of the first yachtsmen who owned a sailing boat on the Upper Thames. This was a 15-foot fully-rigged schooner, which he first owned in 1848, when a boy at Eton, the boat having been built in the Dockyard at Plymouth. He commenced yachting seriously in the winter of 1855-1856, when he owned a 12-ton cutter at Ryde. This was followed by Triton, 26-ton cutter, and Mabel, 19-ton yawl.

Colonel FitzRoy Clayton sailed for many years as an amateur hand on board the racing schooner Egeria, and also on the 60-ton cutter Vanguard. He acted as helmsman with marked success in the 30-ton cutter Xenia whilst racing in Liverpool and in Scottish and Irish regattas. Colonel Clayton was one of the original members of the Council of the Yacht Racing Association. He is Commodore of the Penarth Yacht Club, and also of the Upper Thames Sailing Club.

Clubs: Penarth, Upper Thames.
Residence: Fyfield House, Maidenhead.

Vessels: Triton; Mabel