This club, with its home on the Mersey, was founded in 1866, and has for many years been one of the most active organizations devoted to the sport. While it was yet a comparatively small club it worked in harmony with the Royal Mersey Club, and some excellent regattas were held by both clubs off Birkenhead and New Brighton. On some occasions the Royal Mersey presented prizes to the Cheshire Club for its regattas, while at other times the regattas were held concurrently, an arrangement being made whereby the Royal Mersey gave races for the bigger craft, while the smaller vessels, from 20 tons downwards, were catered for by the Cheshire. In the days referred to, towards the end of the 'seventies,' the pick of the racing fleets were in the habit of taking these regattas in their usual round. In 1877, one of the years in which the 20-tonners were in great strength, five of these craft sailed for the Cheshire Cup.
For the succeeding two or three years the sport was of the same excellent character; but latterly, in common with all the other clubs in that district, there has been a falling off in the entries from visiting yachts.