Skip to main content

Colonial yachting - Canada

Colonial yachting - Canada

The Royal Canadian Yacht Club

This club was founded in 1852, the year after the great race around the Isle of Wight, when the schooner-yacht America won the Squadron Cup, which has been so highly prized by the whole American nation ever since, and which has caused much excitement in yachting circles during the past few years. The club from which the yacht club sprang was originally called the Toronto Boat Club, but it was in those days confined to yacht-sailing. During the year 1852, and for a year or two after, it was called the Toronto Yacht Club, and later on, in the year 1854, by the consent of Her Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria, the name was changed to that of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. There was quite a number of yachts belonging to the Toronto Boat Club or Yacht Club in the year 1852, the names of which are familiar to some living members - namely, the Cherokee, Undine, Storm Queen, Emerald, Rover, Witch, Breeze, and others.

The first race took place under the auspices of the Toronto Boat Club in August, 1852, and the yachts entered were the Undine, Abercorn, America, Jenny Lind, Saucy Jack, and Cherokee.

An Act of Incorporation was passed, incorporating the yacht club, by the Legislature of the province of Ontario in the year 1868, and a further Act was also passed in the year 1885, giving certain additional powers to the club.

The Royal Canadian Yacht Club was much encouraged in yacht-racing by the gift of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales (now His Majesty King Edward) of a very handsome champion cup, which is still styled the Prince of Wales's Cup, and sailed for annually, a handsome silver medal being given to the victor each year.

This cup has been competed for not only by yachts belonging to Toronto, but by those hailing from Hamilton, Cobourg, Belleville, Kingston, and other places, whose owners became members of the club, and whose yachts were made club yachts.

In 1860, when the Prince visited this country, the then Com­modore of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club read an address to His Royal Highness, which was graciously replied to. He then agreed to become a patron of the club, and in a tremendous rain­storm started a fleet of yachts in the regatta which took place on September 7 of that year. The yachts taking part in this regatta were the Rivet, Canada, Sea Gull, Dart, Water Lily, Arrow, Marian, Fairy, Phantom, Storm Queen, Expert, Surge, and Glance. The Rivet was the winner of this race. The first yacht to win the Prince of Wales's Cup was the Wideawake, of Cobourg, a centreboard yacht, and very fast in her class. The next in point of honour was a yacht called the George Steers, brought from the United States by a yachtsman of Cobourg. She was designed by the man after whom she was called, and he it was who designed the great yacht America, which won the Queen's Cup in 1851. The George Steers was afterwards called the Gorilla, and was one of the fastest yachts on Lake Ontario for several years.

Some of the Governors-General of Canada have been generous in their gifts to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Lord Dufferin presented some beautiful gold and bronze medals, and the Marquis of Lorne and the Princess Louise a handsome cup, Lord Lansdowne also a handsome cup, and other cups and trophies have been presented from time to time by members of the club. The greatest encouragement to yachtsmen of the province of Ontario was the gift of Her Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria, who, in the year 1890, presented the beautiful Queen's Cup, which was and is to be sailed for by Canadian yachts on Lake Ontario annually, the Royal Canadian Yacht Club being the custodians of the cup. This cup is highly prized, and is open to all Canadian yachts belonging to clubs in Canadian towns bordering on Lake Ontario, and is sailed for in three different classes. The first yacht to win the cup was the cutter-yacht Vreda.

The yachts of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club have been very successful in the regattas in which they have taken part from time to time, and in the year 1896, at Toledo, the well-known yacht Canada won from the Vencedor, of the Lincoln Park Yacht Club, of Chicago, the Canada Cup, which is still competed for from time to time, and the race for this cup always attracts yachtsmen from many parts, and is looked upon with great interest.

The first meeting to establish a yacht club in Toronto was held at the Western Hotel, which was situate on Wellington Street, and a large gathering of Toronto men were present. Of these only three survive who are known to the writer. They are William Armstrong, Clarkson Jones, and Thomas Shortiss, all still hale and hearty men. Mr. Shortiss is the oldest life-member of the club, Mr. Armstrong for many years was the club's honorary secretary, and Mr. Jones was looked upon as the club's best skipper in the days gone by, having steered many a yacht to win.

The first regular clubhouse was a small brick house which stood about where the Union Station now stands. It was the property of the late Sir Casimir Growski, who generously let the club use it as their headquarters for a nominal rent. Meetings of the club were also in its early days held at John Seel's saloon on King Street, and here the club members would dine together occasionally.

For a time the home of the club was a scow, which the City Corporation permitted to be placed on one of the city's water lots, west of the well-known Rees Wharf. Between musk-rats and gales of wind this scow was lost, and then in about the year 1860 the hull of the old steamer Provincial was purchased and occupied by the club, being moored to the esplanade near the foot of Simcoe Street. She was a large and roomy craft, and for some reason or other was abandoned. The club fitted her up, and she made a comfortable and happy abiding-place for the members for about ten years.

In 1869 the club erected a large and commodious clubhouse a little west of Simcoe Street. A wharf was built, and a clubhouse constructed upon the wharf. At this clubhouse the members were enabled to obtain meals, and many enjoyable dinners and dances have taken place there. There was also a fine billiard-room, which was much enjoyed by many of its members. The club continued to occupy this clubhouse for both the summer and winter months until the year 1873, in which year it was decided to take rooms in the town for the winter, and the building known as Bickford's Building on York Street, then next door north of the Toronto Club, provided very pleasant rooms for that and the following winter. The members were so pleased, apparently, with their up-town clubhouse that in 1874 they became more ambitious, and purchased a building on King Street a little west of where the Palmer House now stands, on the corner of King and York Streets, and this they occupied until 1876 or 1877, when a committee of the yacht club was appointed to meet a committee of the Toronto Club to take into consideration the subject of amalgamation. There never was an actual amalgamation between the two clubs, but an arrangement was made by which all the members of the yacht club were entitled to join the Toronto Club without entrance fee or ballot, and the Toronto Club members had the privilege of be­coming members of the yacht club on the same terms. The Toronto Club took over the town house of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, the yacht club retaining the clubhouse on the esplanade.

In the year 1880 the club agreed to sell their house on the esplanade to the Grand Trunk Railway Company, and disposed of it for the sum of $9,500, and then arranged for the erection of a clubhouse on the island, where the present clubhouse now stands, and had for a landing-place for their steam launch a wharf at the foot of Lorne Street, the club having purchased the Esperanza at Buffalo, which served the purposes of the club until the year the Hiawatha, the present steam launch, was built. This latter craft has been of the greatest possible service to the yacht club. She was built by Bertram and Co., of Toronto, is constructed of steel, and was launched on July 9, 1895. The purchase-money for this launch was $7,000.

The island clubhouse was formally opened in June, 1881, on which date there was a garden-party given by the club, and was largely attended.

In the year 1889 the Toronto Yacht Club, which had been in existence for some years, made overtures to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club for amalgamation, and subsequently this was carried out. The Lorne Street landing was then abandoned, and the clubhouse of the old Toronto Yacht Club was then made the town clubhouse of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, the Esperanza plying between the two clubhouses.

About the year 1894 the windmill line was extended south to a very considerable extent, and an arrangement was made between the city of Toronto and the Royal Canadian Yacht Club by which the old Toronto Yacht Club house was given up and a wharf constructed on the esplanade, upon which was erected a very handsome clubhouse, and this was occupied by the members until the winter of 1896, when it was totally destroyed by fire. Subsequently the club erected the building which they have recently sold, and at the present time they have but one clubhouse, the beautiful new edifice at the island, which has given the members great satisfaction. The old clubhouse on the island was also destroyed by fire in the year 1904.

This, shortly, is the history of the various homes of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Their premises now are second to none on the continent, and the membership has increased to such an extent that with but one exception it is larger than any other known yacht club in the world.

The Royal Canadian Yacht Club has been noted for the many delightful balls, banquets, and garden-parties held by them. The yacht club ball has always been looked upon by Torontonians as the great social event of the season for many years past, and they have had many distinguished guests to honour these functions. Their garden-parties, too, have been frequent. One was given some years ago when the British Association visited this city, and a large number of the Association were present.

His Majesty King Edward is a patron of the club, as is also H.R.H. the Prince of Wales, H.R.H. Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, and the Governor-General for the time being has always been one of the patrons of the club.

Regattas take place off the Toronto Island, and for the little craft on the bay, many times during the yachting season; and cruises to Hamilton, Rochester, Niagara, Cobourg, and other places take place constantly.

During the many years the yacht club has been in existence there have been but few fatalities in the recollection of the writer, but on two very sad occasions yachts have been lost belonging to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. The first was in 1873, when the small centre-board yacht called the Sphinx was lost off Bronte, and two members of the club, Messrs. Morgan and Groves, lost their lives. A still more serious loss took place when the yacht Foam foundered at the mouth of the Niagara River, and on it a number of yachting men; no less than seven were drowned, there being no survivor. The graves of these poor fellows are now to be seen at the door of the English church at Niagara.

In the year 1876 Major Gifford, of Cobourg, was authorized by the club to challenge the New York Yacht Club for the America Cup. He did so, and was unsuccessful in his attempt to win it with his schooner-yacht Countess of Dufferin, designed and built by Cuthbert, of Cobourg. She was beaten by the yacht Madeline. Subsequently, in the year 1881, a challenge was issued by the consent of the club, at the request of the owners of the yacht Atalanta, which was also designed and built by Cuthbert. This yacht was also beaten in her attempt to lift the cup. Her competitor was the yacht Mischief.

The Royal Canadian Yacht Club has had from time to time many distinguished visitors, amongst them the Prince of Wales, now King Edward. It has also had as guests Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, Prince George, now Prince of Wales, and the Princess Louise, all children of Her Gracious Majesty Queen Victoria; and recently the club was honoured by His Serene Highness Prince Louis of Battenberg, who attended a garden-party in 1905.

History of the Canada’s Cup Races

In the winter of 1895-1896 the Lincoln Park Yacht Club, of Chicago, sent a challenge to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, of Toronto, for a series of races to be sailed between a yacht belonging to the fleet of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club and the Vencedor, a yacht being built for Mr. Charles E. Berriman, Commodore of the Lincoln Park Yacht Club. After the preliminary correspondence the Royal Canadian Yacht Club invited the Lincoln Park Yacht Club to send a committee to discuss the details of the match.

The challenge was for a specific yacht, whose length was given as 42 feet water-line. At that time the system of measurement for time allowance was what is known as the old Seawanhaka rule - viz., length multiplied by the square root of sail, divided by two, equals racing length.

On Lake Ontario there was no class of racing yachts of the water-line length of the Vencedor, and the Royal Canadian Yacht Club wished that the challenge should be made for the 42-foot racing length class, a boat approximately 37 or 38 feet water-line; but as the construction of the Vencedor had already commenced, a compromise was agreed upon, which largely robbed the race of interest from its inception. The compromise was that the Royal Canadian Yacht Club would build a boat in the 42-foot racing length class, and the Chicago people undertook that the Vencedor should not exceed 45.5 feet racing length, and should not be less than 42 feet water-line length. This arrangement made it almost a foregone conclusion that the Canadian yacht would win in light and moderate winds, and that the American yacht would be equally certain of winning in strong breezes. This point was clearly brought out at a meeting of the representatives of the two clubs held in the Argonaut Rowing Club, Toronto, in the early part of the winter of 1896. The meeting was held in the Argonaut Rowing Club because the Royal Canadian premises had just been destroyed by fire.

The match once having been made, a syndicate was formed of members of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, composed of the Messrs. the late George Gooderham, James Ross, of Montreal, S. F. McKinnon, of Toronto, F. J. Phillips, of Toronto, George H. Gooderham, of Toronto, and Æmilius Jarvis, of Toronto, the latter being managing owner. These gentlemen gave an order to William Fife, jun., to design the yacht. Owing to many delays it was well on into April before the design came to hand; but Captain James Andrews, of Oakville, who had been given charge of the construction, had prepared all the material, and, as he had received in advance of design a drawing of the lead keel, this had already been cast. I think the first attempt at erection was made on April 28, and so well were Captain Andrews' plans laid that he was able to launch the yacht, which was appropriately named the Canada, on June 23, 1896. As all her rigging had been prepared beforehand, she sailed her first race, unsuccessfully, on Saturday, June 27, against the Zelma, of Hamilton, also a Fife boat of the same class, off Toronto.

The Vencedor was launched only a few days earlier than the Canada, though her construction was well under way when the challenge was made. She was built at Racine, Wisconsin, from designs by A. Poekle, who had been a draughtsman with the Herreschoffs; in fact, it was freely stated by eastern yachtsmen that the Vencedor's design was taken from a blue print of the Niagara, Herreschoff's famous fin keel yacht that had raced so successfully in the 20-rating class of the previous season in British waters.

One of the conditions of the match was that the race was to take place over an open lake course in neutral waters. Detroit, Cleveland, Toledo, Buffalo, and Hamilton, Ontario, all sought to have the race. Ultimately, however, Toledo made a proposal that if the race was held on Lake Erie, off that port, they would give a $500.00 cup to the winner and $1,500.00 in cash ; and, as it was a halfway meeting-point, this generous offer was accepted, and the series of races took place off Turtle Island, Lake Erie, commencing August 25, 1896.

The Fisher Cup

There are two stories of the origin of the Fisher Cup - not necessarily conflicting, but certainly not identical. It is, perhaps, only natural that this, the oldest of the international fresh-water yachting trophies, should have a slight halo of mystery about its beginning, but it is not exactly satisfactory to the one who wishes to write about it.

According to the present holders, the Rochester Yacht Club, the Fisher Cup was presented to the Chicago Yacht Club on July 8, 188 2, by A. J. Fisher, Esq., as a challenge cup, and won by the following yachts:

1882  - Cora.

1883  - Atalanta.

1884  - Norah.

1892  - Onward.

1900  - Genesee.

The Canadian story, which, it must be frankly stated, is quite as much tradition as a written record, goes back much further. According to this, the cup was won on the Atlantic Coast by the yacht Cora in 1874 or thereabouts. The Cora was a 60-foot water-line boat of the type of the old Ina. She was bought by Commodore J. K. Barker, of Detroit, and brought to the Lakes by him. Commodore Barker, by the way, was drowned in the seventies while coming ashore in the Cora’s dinghy with a load of ballast while the yacht was being stripped for the season.

When the Cora came to the Lakes she was one of the crack American yachts, and Canadians were eager for a brush with her with one of their fliers of the day - the Annie Cuthbert (owned by Alexander Cuthbert, sen., of Cobourg, one of the predecessors of the Canadian challengers for the America Cup), the Countess of Dufferin, and Atalanta. The Annie Cuthbert and the Cora sailed a series of matches at Put-In-Bay, at the head of Lake Erie, and also in Lake St. Clair, in the season of 1875, and it was then, according to Canadian tradition, that the Fisher Cup was first won by a Canadian yacht.

The Annie Cuthbert was bought by Chicago yachtsmen, Com­modore Prindiville among them, in 1879, and the cup, which had so far belonged to the winning boat, went with her to Chicago.

The Canadian sloop Atalanta, which made an unsuccessful bid for the America Cup in 1881, was sent to Chicago in 1883, and won the trophy back to Canada. Atalanta was then owned by the Gifford Syndicate of Cobourg.

Next year the yacht Norah, of Belleville, owned by Mr. John Bell, G.T.R., solicitor, won the cup from Atalanta. Norah held the cup for many years. There was, apparently, room for argument as to when the cup became the actual property of the winner, and whether the winner was bound to defend it at all times. Toronto yachtsmen, eager to get the trophy, endeavoured to bring about a match, when the new cutter Zelma, owned by N. B. Dick, Esq., was added to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club fleet in 1891.

Norah belonged to the Bay of Quinte Yacht Club, and efforts at arranging a match were unavailing. Zelma was sent to the bay, and actually made a start, but as there was no contestant for her, she threw up the race and came home. 

One way out of the difficulty presented itself in the challenge of the Rochester Yacht Club, which, being an international one, could not very well be refused. Toronto yachtsmen rather rejoiced at the prospect of the cup leaving the Bay of Quinte, as they expected to be able to recover it for themselves. Norah and the Rochester yacht Onward sailed a race in September, 1892. There were practically no restrictions, in the modern sense of the word, and it was blowing a gale of wind. Onward, with a crew of thirty-five men, piled up to windward, stood up like a church, and carried sail so ably that the Canadian defender was badly beaten, and the cup crossed the lake.

Then Zelma, as expected, challenged Onward. They raced at Rochester, or rather Charlotte, but could not arrive at a conclusion. There were two races in light winds which could not be concluded, and on the day for the third race it blew a gale, and neither yacht could tow out of Charlotte piers. This was in 1893.

The cup stayed undisturbed in Rochester for seven years, when Minota, a 35-footer, as she was then classed, was sent after it, after a long series of trial races against Beaver. Minota bore the Royal Canadian Yacht Club's challenge, and the Rochester Yacht Club depended on the Canada's cup-winner Genesee. In the first race, in light airs, Minota was beaten. In the second race, sailed in a gale, she stood a splendid chance of winning, when the parting of a main shroud turnbuckle completely crippled her, and allowed Genesee to complete the defence of the cup with a sail-over. Since then the cup has rested quietly again in Rochester.

The status of the cup as a trophy is no longer disputable. On November 15, 1895, Messrs. J. R. White, Arthur T. Hagen, and Frederick S. Todd, owners of the Onward, donated the trophy to the Lake Yacht-Racing Association on condition that it should be a perpetual challenge cup for yachts in the 35-foot class and larger belonging to Lake Ontario yacht clubs enrolled in the Lake Yacht-Racing Association. It is provided in the deed of gift that the cup is not to be held by the winning yacht, but by the club to which she belongs.

 Record of Royal Canadian Yacht Club’s Racing Cups and Trophies

The Royal Canadian Yacht Club have been particularly favoured in the matter of cups given to the club for competition; indeed, it is doubtful if any club in the world whose home is on fresh water has as many valuable trophies for its members' yachts to race for. The list comprises:-

 Royal Canadian Yacht Club's Racing Cups and Trophies.

Date

Name

Donor

1860

Prince of Wales's Cup

H.R.H. The Prince of Wales (now King Edward VII.)

1882

Murray Cup

Captain J. G. Murray

1882

Cosgrove Cup

John Cosgrove, Esq.

1883

McGaw Cup

Thomas McGaw, Esq.

1887

Lansdowne Cup

His Excellency the Marquis of Lansdowne

1889

Lorne Cup

His Excellency the Marquis of Lorne and H.R.H. Princess Louise

1891

Queen's Cup  

Her Majesty Queen Victoria

1897

Harman Cup

S. Bruce Harman, Esq.

1900

Gooderham Cup

George H. Gooderham, Esq.

1902

Barber Cup

Henry Barber, Esq.

1903

Beaver Cup

Dr. A. H. Garrett, et al.

1905 

Smith Cup

R. A. Smith, Esq.

1906

Pellatt Shield

Sir Henry Mill Pellatt

 The Royal Canadian Yacht Club received its royal warrant in 1854, and six years afterwards, on the occasion of the visit to Toronto of H.R.H. the then Prince of Wales, he was pleased to present to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club a beautiful silver cup for annual competition by the yachts owned by members of that club.

The first race for this cup was sailed in 1861, and from that time to the present, with the single exception of 1881, has been raced for every year.

This cup is one that every yacht in the club is entitled to sail for, and as a result there has nearly always been a large fleet of starters, as the Prince of Wales's Cup is looked upon as being the cup, and in the, hope of winning it and the handsome medal that accompanies it every member who owns a yacht with the faintest pretentions to speed enters her for the race.

To read over the list of winners of this historic cup is to recall to mind nearly all the famous yachts that have ever sailed on Lake Ontario; but outstanding is the name Oriole, eleven times a winner. Gorilla in the sixties and seventies won the cup four times, and in later years Lilma and Merrythought have each won it on three different occasions.

A complete list of winners up to date is appended.

Next in importance comes the Queen's Cup, presented to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club by our late revered Queen Victoria in 1891 through Lord Stanley, the then Governor-General of Canada.

Though this cup was in reality given to the Royal Canadian Yacht Club, before the gift was finally accepted the club had decided to make the cup of more value by accepting it in the names of all the Canadian yacht clubs on the Lakes, and in order to put the arrangement on a businesslike basis they called together representatives of the different clubs on Lake Ontario, and framed rules and regulations under which all the races for this cup are sailed.

In order to give all sizes of yachts a chance to win the cup, they divided the races among three classes, comprising all the yachts up to 30 feet water-line, yachts between 30 and 40 feet water-line, and all yachts over 40 feet water-line, the first race to be sailed under the auspices of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club off Toronto.

They decided that the first race should be sailed by the yachts of the largest class, the next year the race to be sailed by the smallest-class, and the third year the 40-footers were to have their show for the cup.

They also arranged that the cup should be raced for over the course of the club whose representative won the cup in the last contest sailed by the class in which the race was for the year, by this means giving every club winning the cup an opportunity of seeing a Queen's Cup race held on its club course.

The races for this cup are always sailed on Dominion Day, July 1, and on most occasions spirited contests have resulted.

Of the other cups comparatively little need be said, as they have been presented to the club by different gentlemen for one purpose or another.

The Lansdowne Cup and Lorne Cup were presented by the Marquis of Lansdowne and the Marquis of Lorne and H.R.H. Princess Louise after their official visits to Toronto, when they had been entertained by the Royal Canadian Yacht Club.

The Murray, Cosgrave, and McGaw Cups were presented to that live organization the Toronto Yacht Club, and became the property of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club in 1890, when the two clubs amalgamated.

As, with the exception of the Prince of Wales and Queen's Cups, the trophies are in the hands of the sailing committee of the club, and are allocated each year to the classes the committee think fit, the winning of them does not really mean anything, as the same cup might be held by a 20-footer one year and a 40-footer the next.

Under these circumstances the records of the winners of the different cups are hardly worth mentioning here, though the cups have been productive of a lot of first-class racing. The honour roll of the Prince of Wales's Cup and Queen's Cup is as follows:

 List of races for The Prince Of Wales's Cup, and their Winners.

Date

Winner

Owner

Course

1861

Wideawake

C. Elliott

Mimico, etc., and return

1862

Gorilla

R. W. Standly

Mimico, etc., and return

1863

Gorilla

R. W. Standly

Port Dalhousie and return

1864'

Standly

R. W. Standly

Port Dalhousie and return

1865

Arrow

G. H. Wyatt

1866

Ripple

E. Blake

Port Credit and return

1867

Ripple

E. Blake

Port Dalhousie and return

1868

Geraldine

E. M. Hodder

Port Dalhousie and return

1869

Mosquito

E. M. Copeland

Mimico, Scarborough, etc.

1870

Ida

George Eadie

Niagara

1871*

Niagara and return

1872

Gorilla

Captain C. Gifford

Niagara

1873

Lady Stanley

B. R. Clarkson

Niagara

1874

Oriole

W. C. Campbell, et al.

Niagara

1875

Oriole

W. C. Campbell, et al.

Niagara

1876

Brunette

G. H. Wyatt, et al.

Mimico, Lake Buoy, Victoria Park

1877

Oriole

J. Leys, et al.

Lighthouse, Lake Buoy, Victoria Park

1878

Oriole

J. Leys, et al.

Ditto

1879

Oriole

J. Leys, et al.

Ditto

1880

Madcap

A. R. Boswell

Port Credit, Victoria Park

1881 t

1882

Cygnet

T. McGaw

Mimico, Lake Buoy, Victoria Park

1883

Aileen

W. G. Gooderham, et al.

Ditto

1884

Aileen

W. G. Gooderham, et al.

Ditto

1885

Aileen

W. G. Gooderham, et al.

Ditto

1886

Oriole

George Gooderham

Exhibition, Lake Buoy, Victoria Park

1887

Oriole

George Gooderham

Ditto

1888

Oriole

George Gooderham

Ditto

1889

Oriole

George Gooderham

Ditto

1890

Oriole

George Gooderham

Ditto

1891

Vreda

A. R. Boswell, et al.

Ditto

1892

Oriole

George Gooderham

Ditto

1893

Zelma

N. B. Dick

Ditto

1894

Zelma

N. B. Dick

Exhibition, Mimico, Lake Buoy

1895

Vreda

A. R. Boswell

Exhibition, Mimico, Lake Buoy

1896

Zelma

R. A. Lucas

Exhibition, Mimico, Lake Buoy

1897

Wawa

S. H. Townsend

Triangle: 24 miles base along Island shore; apex, due south in lake

1898

Merrythought

Æ. Jarvis

Ditto

1899

Clorita

G. H. Gooderham

Ditto

1900

Merrythought

Æ. Jarvis

Ditto

1901

Merrythought.

Æ. Jarvis

Ditto

1902

Invader

G. H. Gooderham.

Ditto

1903

Strathcona

Norman Macrae

Ditto

1904

Whirl

F. Darrell

Ditto

1905

Loraya

J. G. Worts

Ditto

 Queen's Cup

Date

Winner

Owner

Course

1891       ...

Vreda

A. R. Boswell

Toronto

1892    ...

Nancy

F.Malloch

Hamilton

1893    ...

Zelma

N. B. Dick

Toronto

1894       ...

Vreda

A. R. Boswell

Toronto

1895       ...

Vedette

Reed and Gray

Hamilton

1896    ...

Zelma

R. A. Lucas

Toronto

1897       ...

Aggie

Marlatt and Armstrong

Toronto

1898    ...

Verona

W. J. Brigger

Toronto

1899    ...

Zelma

R. A. Lucas

Toronto

1900    ...

Merrythought

Æ. Jarvis

Toronto

1901       ...

Invader

F.H. Gooderham

Toronto

1902    ...

Chinook

F. Malloch

Hamilton

1903    ...

Merrythought

Æ. Jarvis

Toronto

1904    ...

Whirl

H.F. Darrell

Toronto

1905       ...

Canada

Commodore Haas

Toronto